Saturday, January 2, 2016

2015 Review, Part 4--October through December

And October is when life took a turn for the difficult around here. The last three months of 2015 rank as the three hardest consecutive months in many years around the Sanatorium, maybe the three hardest months of my life, ever. Personally, I'm looking forward to 2016 and grey skies clearing up around here.


Denton Sanatorium went dark for the first week of October, and this post revealed why: ER visit, high fevers, GRE tests. It was the roughest week of the year--one I look back on as the beginning of the hard stretch.

Ben hit his one-year mark in Peru.

I redid the family room and took Lily and her friends to the cabin.
The whole family met in Provo for BYU homecoming. That was a great weekend.
And Evie turned six.

Then more hard stuff.

Brad's stepdad, Greg, suffered an aneurysm. A week later, we flew to Utah for a visit.

And when I returned, I discovered all of my chickens had been slaughtered

Halloween gave us a little break from the hard stuff--a much needed break.

It started well, that's for sure.

Brubakers came for a visit.
Then . . .

Lily was diagnosed with vocal nodules the same day Brad had eye surgery. That was quite a day.

But then . . . we witnessed a true miracle when Greg suddenly recovered from his aneurysm. Miracle is the only word to describe him still with us.

My aunt Sally died unexpectedly, and our family traveled north to spend Thanksgiving celebrating the miracle of Greg's life (with the heart-to-heart conversation I thought I'd never have again) followed by the celebration of Sally's life.


I wanted December to be different this year--different from how it's been in the past and different from how stressful life had been for the past two months. We attended "The Nutcracker," and brought a truck full of snow down to the Valley of the Sun.
Lily showed some improvement on her voice . . .

. . . but the Grinch visited our house and stole much of our Christmas and some of Brad's expensive tools.

Just like life in Who-ville, Christmas came to Mesa anyway, and the Grinch couldn't steal the Christmas spirit from our home, highlighted by a call from our favorite missionary.

And then 2015's big sendoff. I'm better, thank you, and headed to Idaho for the new baby. I can't think of a better way to start a new year than with a new baby . . .

I love spending this time each year reviewing what I've written and what my family has done. I can't believe how much of it I forget only a few months after hitting publish. I'm so grateful for 2015. I learned some important lessons and had amazing adventures. Here's to 2016.

Happy New Year to you all.

No comments:

Post a Comment